Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Is It Goodbye Yet, Melbourne?


Bee is originally due to fly back to KL on 1 June, but we (read: I) decided to postpone it.

Then my very smart boyfriend rang up Malaysia Airlines, only to find out that his ticket is actually only valid for 45 days, instead of the 90 days he assumed all along. And the latest flight available before 7 June is 5 June, which means that he has to check in by Wednesday night.

So now we're both booked in to fly out on 5 June, which is like, a week from now!

I'm not at all prepared for this, to leave my magical city on such short notice.

Carrie Bradshaw of Sex and the City often refers to New York as her great love in life. Her boyfriend, even.

"If you can only have one great love, then the city just may be mine. And I don't want nobody talkin' shit about my boyfriend." ~Carrie Bradshaw (Sex and the City)

On that note, I guess in more ways than one, Melbourne might just be mine.

This is the city that I fell in love with at the very first sight. Over the years, despite the occasional disappointments and complaints, my love for Melbourne has never tainted one bit.

Sure it has let me down at times (like all lovers do), but as I take the train into the city each day and the morning sun shines its rays on those familiar buildings, I'm reminded of how I fell in love in the first place. When we had our disagreements and my feelings were bruised, it only took a short stroll down the friendly streets or along Yarra river to reignite my passion for the city.

That, is true love, no?

And now the question is, am I ready to trade in my undying love for this city, to pursue my other great love in life - the man who strokes my hair before I fall asleep every night?

Is it time to say goodbye yet, Melbourne?