Sunday, August 30, 2009

Rainbow


Somewhere Over The Rainbow
Judy Garland

Somewhere, over the rainbow, way up high
There's a land that I heard of
Once in a lullaby

Somewhere, over the rainbow, skies are blue
And the dreams that you dare to dream
Really do come true

Someday I'll wish upon a star and
Wake up where the clouds are far
Behind me

Where troubles melt like lemon drops,
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me

Somewhere, over the rainbow, bluebirds fly
Birds fly over the rainbow,
Why then, oh, why can't I?

If happy little bluebirds fly beyond the rainbow,
Why, oh, why can't I?



I saw a rainbow right outside of my window yesterday.

(Okay, maybe not right outside, but close enough.)

It's been drizzling on and off all morning and afternoon.

By evening, the whole place had become grey and misty.

Like being inside a rain drop.

I was sitting on the bed, with my laptop on my laps and a blanket over my feet.

The weather had reminded me of that rainy Autumn evening last year when Bee and I drove back from the Dandenong Ranges.

It was, too, cold and wet, but our hearts were warm and fuzzy. Like how we always are whenever we are together.

When I looked up again, I saw it.

A shiny rainbow hanging in the faint light of the evening sun.

It wasn't there just a few seconds ago, but there it was.

Like a reflex, I grabbed my camera and ran out, in bare feet, to the balcony attached to my bedroom.

I clicked on the button of the camera so fast that I wasn't thinking, in fear that it was going to disappear as quickly as it appeared.

True enough, it only lasted for a brief moment before the sun fully set and the sky turned dark.

But it was a moment to remind me that when all is grey and miserable, it is still possible to have hope.

It was a moment to remember that maybe, just maybe, dreams do come true and troubles do melt like lemon drops.

Somewhere over the rainbow.