Tuesday, November 08, 2005

The Exam

My flight was delayed for 30 minutes.

I sat in the waiting lounge, looking at people passing by.

Airport is a weird place, there're so much mixed emotions around. Tears waving goodbye, laughters welcoming someone home, sadness parting with loved ones, joy going on long-awaited holidays. And for me, nervousness going to a Board exam.

I was so tired from the sleepless night that I fell asleep on the plane even before we took off.

A few turbulences woke me up. My throat was parched and I wanted to order a hot drink, but decided against it since we were about to land. At this stage, I was just feeling numb.

We touched down at 10 o'clock in the morning. My Board exam was at 11am.

I sat in the airport for quite a while again because I didn't want to go to the Board office too early. I felt dizzy and nauseous, my stomach was churning. But emotionally, I was just numb.

I finally got into a cab which took me to the new building the Board had recently moved to. I was so blur that I didn't even remember whether he gave me back my change.

Met a few coursemates in the waiting room. Chit-chatted a bit before we were summoned into different rooms by different examiners. We're assigned two examiners each, one based in community settings and one from clinical background. I got Mr R and Mrs S.

The whole process was rather blurry. I don't remember much about it.

Time went by surprisingly fast. But in my heart, I already knew that I wasn't gonna make it.

At the end of the 2 hours, Mr R said, "Okay, we're done!"

I said, "Yeah, me too."

He laughed and showed me the way out.

A few of us coursemates went to have lunch at Little Italy. They had pasta, I was too sick to eat so I ordered an apple and peach drink to calm my tummy.

It's always fun catching up with old friends. I miss those simple and worry-free days in school. (Though I was never in class.)

We walked around the city for a bit before I had to run off to meet an old old friend of mine.

Yin and I only had 20 minutes to catch up before I had to leave for the airport again. She's moving to New South Wales to do her internship next year. Soon, there won't be many people I know left in this city that I once called home for 5 years.

I went to the airport, took the 5.15pm flight and flew back to Melbourne. Once again, I fell asleep before the plane took off and only woke up shortly before we had to land.

It all felt like a dream, this whole day.

Another cab ride, and I was home.

So I went, and I sat for the exam. Now leave me alone.