Tuesday, February 01, 2011

One


I slept at 3am last night, which is rather unusual for me these days.

For the past year or so, I have been going to bed before 12 o'clock midnight everyday, even on days when I'm not working.

And we woke up at 6.50am this morning because Bee needed to pick up the things he had on hold at our local Officeworks.

Yes, in case you are wondering, it had something to do with the whole Logitech 100% cashback redemption promotion thingy.

We (read: Bee) managed to get four products we wanted from Officeworks and one from Dick Smith.

(There is a limit of 5 items per household.)

By the way, I never realised that Dick Smith is so much more expensive than Officeworks. For the same item, we were charged $20.70 more at Dick Smith than from Officeworks.

There are also rumours saying that Dick Smith specially jacked up the prices for those few particular items since they already anticipated to get an influx of sales due to the promotion. Well, that is pretty dodgy, if you asked me.

I guess I shouldn't be complaining, since we are among the lucky ones who are getting 100% cashback on those items purchased. *Fingers crossed* I just thought it's a bit unfair for those who ended up losing out on the promotion because the high prices charged by certain retailers also meant that the $300,000 limit on rebate will run out much quicker than it should have been if everyone had stuck to their usual competitive pricing.

But hey, it's not personal, it's just business. *Shrugs*

On a different note, the heatwave is still roasting Melbourne and it's scorching hot! On a day like this, I thank God for creating the person who invented air-conditioning.

Bee and I took a nap together in the afternoon to make up for our loss of sleep, and played a little Guitar Hero after that.

I was supposed to do some filing of documents (which I've been putting off for months) in the evening, but as usual, I procrastinated. :|

Alright, let's get back on track and talk about the purpose of this entry, which is also the reason behind the post title.

Over the years that I've maintained this blog, every now and then I get random emails from readers who asked the following question:

"How do I know if he/she is the one?"

Well, I gotta say I'm no expert, and I honestly do not know the answer to that question.

(If there is even an answer to that question.)

But here's a thought.

As Bee and I were prepping our brunch in the kitchen today, I took out one of those pre-packed diet meals I occasionally have and casually said to Bee, "Honey, maybe you should eat this. It's Tuna and Fresh Vegetables, but I hate tuna!"

Looking up from the sink, my husband said, "Okay, sure. But why did you buy it in the first place since you hate tuna?"

"Oh they only had 5 of my usual Chicken and Pasta, and I needed an extra one for the discount, so I thought I'd buy this for you." I said while still having my head stuck in the pantry.

He burst out laughing, came over, took me into his arms, kissed me on the forehead and said, "Am I a sadist or abnormal in any way? If not, why do I find you absolutely adorable for saying that?"

That's when I realised I basically just said, like it's the most natural thing in the world and rightfully so, "Bee, I hate tuna. But since I bought it already, could you please eat it and tell me how it tastes like?"

And my husband found that lovely about me. Oh God bless that silly man!

Normally he doesn't even eat any of those pre-packed meals, for goodness' sake! And I asked him to have it just because I hate tuna but didn't want it to go to waste.

What a normal person would take offence or see as a selfish (albeit an unintended one) act on my part, my husband finds it irresistibly cute.

So yes, my dearest fellow readers, I guess the right person is the one who would find your less than attractive traits more than charming and delightful, and even adore you for them.

One who could still love you during those times when you are unlovable to others.

That's the One.