Saturday, January 29, 2011

Unwrapping


I woke up around 8am this morning and couldn't go back to sleep.

So I waited patiently for my sleepyhead husband to wake up around noon so he could take me out to Westfield Doncaster.

The main purpose of the trip is to exchange a few items from the Royal Doulton dinnerset we purchased yesterday because they have minor imperfections on them.

Unfortunately, those particular items I was after were sold out at Myers in Westfield Doncaster.

I couldn't be bothered to go all the way into the city, finding a parking on a Saturday is an absolute nightmare! Instead of trying my luck at Chadstone again, I called Myers on Bourke Street to have those items put aside for me. The ladies at Wedgwood and Royal Albert/Royal Doulton are always friendly and helpful.

So Bee and I had our usual Saturday brunch at Laurent, and proceeded to do some shopping since it was the last day of Myers' stocktake sale.

I tried on a few Cue dresses, which fitted perfectly, but I wasn't sure if I wanted dresses made entirely of polyester. Besides, I really don't need another new dress since I have too many dresses that haven't even been taken out from the shopping bags yet!

Bee and I were also looking for some throws and cushions to accessorise our new sofa, but nothing caught our eyes.

Didn't see anything I like at Swarovski either since this Myers has different stock than their city store.

I did, however, come across the Maniac necklace worn by Blair Waldorf in the latest episode of Gossip Girl. It's absolutely stunning! Though I'm not sure if I can carry it off like Blair did, it might look a little OTT on us laymen. :|

So I walked away from the sale empty handed, but my husband came home with 2 Guitar Hero box sets (World Tour and Warriors of Rock) and a few other games for his Xbox 360, so now we can actually battle against each other since we have 2 new guitars! Woot!

Later in the afternoon, we finally got around to unwrap our new sofa.

I was going to record the whole unwrapping process, like one of those un-boxing videos on Youtube that I love, just for our own keepsake. But my usual technology-incompatible self forgot to press the record button, so yes, no video for us. :|

Okay, back to the sofa.

Whilst I'm glad to announce that it looks even better than the display in the showroom, I have to admit that the dark brown colour does darken the room a fair bit, and in a way, makes the room look a little smaller.

I mean, we have a fairly big family room, but this is a seriously huge sofa. The chaise itself is bigger than a king size single bed! I don't think we would have space for the reclining swivel arm-chair with matching ottoman that we were planning on getting, otherwise it would just crowd the room too much.

I guess we'll have to find ways to work around it. Maybe try to brighten the room up with a white rug (the carpet is already a light cream colour), ivory throws and cushions, and other light colour accessories. *Shrugs*

For the moment, I'm head over heels in love with our new sofa. The leather is so soft and luxurious, and the sofa itself looks absolutely majestic and elegant.

Then again, there's always the inevitable part of life - imperfections.

As we turned the chaise over to remove its paddings on the bottom, we discovered 2 small tears on the fabric underneath the sofa.

Not on the sofa itself, just the fabric underneath to cover up the wooden frames. If you know what I mean.

It's really nothing, but for yours truly and her typical type A perfectionist personality, it was an instant buzzkill.

I slumped onto the floor, nearly bursting into tears.

Bee tried to comfort me by reassuring me that it's no biggie and David Jones is either going to replace the chaise or get the manufacturer to fix the problem, but there was nothing him or anyone could say at that moment to cheer me up.

My stubborn head was fixated on the fact that my experience with the sofa has been tainted and can never be perfect again.

I was deeply saddened and disappointed.

I know it all sounds really overly-dramatic and unnecessary, but I was so upset that I couldn't even bear to look at the sofa again for the rest of the night.

I guess the higher the expectations you have for something, the harder it is to accept the disappointments.

"Sweetie, it's only underneath the sofa, normally no one or you would even see it." Bee said.

"But in my heart, I will always know that they are there!" I replied.

And when you pay *undisclosed amount* for a sofa, you would expect it to be nothing less than perfect, no?

Moreover, it's not just about the money. I had really looked forward to this and wanted it to be perfect, so it's a bit hard to swallow when it comes with such flaws.

But I guess that's the thing about life. Sooner or later, you will have to learn and accept the fact that things will never be perfect.

Sooner or later.