Saturday, October 03, 2009

Buggered


My insomnia has driven me to my wits' end.

I honestly cannot remember when was the last time I slept through the night without sleeping pills.

In fact, I can't even remember the last time I had a satisfying night of sleep WITH sleeping pills. (Note: plural.)

It's truly frustrating, and draining.

I think I'm slowly losing my mind.

Today, after yet another night of patchy sleep, I woke up feeling like an old and worn out designer bag.

Used to be fabulous, but now, not so much. :|

I had two things planned for the day - a house inspection in Doncaster and shopping at Westfield.

The inspection turned out to be a complete disappointment because the place looked nothing like the pictures advertised.

What I thought would be a charming townhouse with a small but pleasant English garden turned out to be dated, poorly maintained, and badly in need of a renovation makeover.

Though at the same time, the disappointment also came as relief. Since I already thought the place was well overpriced, as with every other piece of real estate in Melbourne these days, for a West-facing townhouse, I was more than happy to cross it off on my list of houses-I-might-like.

What really buggered up my day was that by the time Wen and I got to Westfield, which was literally only a stone's throw away, all the shops were closing!

That's the sad thing about living in Melbourne. The shops close before 6pm (5pm for Westfield Doncaster) on a Saturday!

Just as we were feeling like two deflated balloons, we got totally starstruck to bump into a reality TV show star in the car park.

We were both too cool (read: old) to go up and talk to him like two crazy hysterical teenage fans that we secretly are, but we just couldn't stop swooning and giggling like one till we met up with KT for dinner in the city.

It didn't even occur to any of us till very much later that it might be a little politically-incorrect to have Korean BBQ as our celebration for Mid-Autumn Festival. You know, with the whole "cultural robbery" drama when Republic of Korea claimed Chinese's Dragon Boat Festival (Gangneung Danoje Festival of South Korea) as a world cultural heritage for its own country.

Oh well. The technicalities and all.

At the end of the day, alcohol is the universal language.

(You didn't think I was gonna come up with a smart conclusion, did ya? Haha.)

So we proceeded to Martini Bar for drinks after I met up with an old friend from high school for post-dinner coffee at Starbucks.

Others celebrated Mid-Autumn Festival with mooncakes and lanterns, we did it with martinis and mocktails.

And that's just the way it's gotta be.